Egress Windows: Crucial Details You Should Know
One of the ways in which you can utilize a basement is to convert it into a habitable space such as a living area, a bedroom, a laundry room or a garage. However, as you convert your basement into a habitable space, you need to ensure that the process follows the relevant guidelines. The International Residential Code (IRC) of 2003 states that all basements that are converted into habitable spaces should have egress windows.
Aside from the requirements of the law, having an egress window installed on your basement also ensures that the basement is illuminated with nature and is well ventilated.
Points to Note about Basements and Egress Windows
Egress windows should be installed in basements in accordance with these scenarios:
- Any habitable space that is created inside a basement must be fitted with an egress window.
- Any unfinished basement that is converted into a bedroom should have an egress window.
Professional Egress Window Installation
Evidently, egress windows are no ordinary windows. They must be installed in such a way that they play the required safety roles effectively while also keeping your basement healthy. Because of these requirements, you should always hire a professional installer if you would like to install any egress window on your basement or do basement remodeling work.
Requirements for Installing Egress Windows
According to the IRC, egress windows should meet the following requirements:
- The opening area of the window should be clear and at least 9 sq. ft in size.
- The window should have a minimum length and height of 36 inches.
- The window should be positioned 44 inches above the floor of the basement.
- Occupants of the basement should be able to open the egress window from inside. The egress window should not have any barriers like grills or bars.
- Additionally, the window does not need to be opened by a key or any other detachable device.
Factors You Need to Consider
If you are planning to install egress windows on your basement, you need to consider the following factors:
- Window design: While egress windows are emergency exits, they also need to be well designed in order to have an artistic look. So you should choose a design that perfectly matches the overall theme of your house.
- Choose a professional company: Professional egress window installers understand the requirements that these windows should meet. They will also ensure that your windows are installed elegantly.
All waterproofing companies have to make a choice. They can assume an attitude of, “no one’s perfect,” and “the homeowner won’t notice that,” or “close enough.” Or they can do what Everdry Illinois does… and insist on strict standards and absolute precision.
And while waterproofing contractors in Illinois, unfortunately, choose the “close enough” route, Everdry Illinois has committed to the highest standards of service and installation. We always, always, ALWAYS do it the RIGHT WAY.
In addition to our excellent professionals, we have also carefully built a top team of managers and office support people. The office support staff are exceptionally skilled at listening to what you want and then making the right recommendations for your budget and tastes.
The office support people are well-trained to avoid the typical frustrations of “I don’t know” answers. (And if they really don’t know, they’ll get you to the right person). The typical customer service frustrations that are so common nowadays are not the “Everdry way”.